When You Receive an Email, Ask Yourself:
- Who is the original sender?
- Is it making an urgent request or playing on your fear and emotions?
- Does it appear to come from a legitimate source, but it’s asking you for unusual information?
- Did you sign up to receive this email, or is it from an organization with which you are unfamiliar?
- Is it asking you to send personal information over the Internet? (remember, legitimate companies won’t normally ask you to do this)
When in doubt, don’t open or click on anything, and alert IT personnel.